The Florida sun is extremely bright in the summer months, but sunlight is not the only issue your eyes will encounter during the summer. The Orlando ophthalmology experts at Magruder Laser Vision present several summer eye tips that will keep your eyes looking good and seeing even better.
- Wear Sunglasses Sunglasses that provide 100% ultraviolet (UV) protection from both UVA and UVB radiation will greatly reduce the incidence of many eye disorders such as macular degeneration, cataracts, glaucoma, and pterygium.
- Swim Goggles Chlorinated pools irritate the eyes, and the water in the Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic Ocean has a different salt content than what your body needs (this also accounts for your skin wrinkling after you have been in the water a while). Wearing swim goggles prevents these irritants and naturally occurring marine particles from coming into contact with the eye.
- Work Goggles Protective work goggles should be worn any time home projects are involved, such as woodworking, welding, or hammering. Any of these activities can cause dust or particles to fly into your eyes.
- Cap it Off A wide-brimmed hat will protect your eyes from the sun and elements. Skin cancer is prevalent on the face, especially sensitive, thin-skinned areas such as the eyelids; wearing a hat protects your eyelids and the skin on your face from cancer.
- Sports Eyewear Many sports have specific goggles or glasses that protect your eyes from balls, racquets, or debris. If you play any sport where eyewear is recommended, treat it as a valuable part of the uniform!
You use vision more than any of your other special senses to understand the world around you. Keep your eyes safe this summer so your vision can remain as sharp as possible. If you are interested in taking in the summer sights without the bother of cumbersome eyeglasses or contacts, the Orlando ophthalmology experts at Magruder Laser Vision offer a free consultation for patients interested in a LASIK procedure. Read our past blogs and call Magruder at 407-843-5665 to learn how Doc Brock and his staff are Correcting Vision – Changing Lives!