One of the greatest gifts we are ever given in life is the gift of sight. With 2016 coming to a close, you should consider making every effort to protect your eyesight in 2017. You are never too young to begin thinking about how age has the potential to cause eye and vision problems. The premier Orlando Ophthalmologist, Dr. Brock Magruder (Doc Brock), wants nothing more than for your eyes to be the healthiest they can be and for your eyesight to always be as crisp and clear as possible. Here are six strategies recommended by Doc Brock to support your eye health and allow your vision be at its best today and in the future:
- Eat well-balanced and healthy meals. Sure, this is one of the most frequently made resolutions at the start of every year, but did you know that keeping this resolution will not only help you shed those extra pounds but can contribute to the health and well-being of your eyes? Foods rich in antioxidants can help to prevent the development of cataracts.
- Get regular exercise. Exercise can help keep your eyes healthy and happy. Studies have recently shown that people who participated in a routine exercise regimen reduced the potential for developing age-related macular degeneration by up to 70%.
- Know the genetics of your eyes. It might sound obvious, but many people are unaware of the importance of knowing the background of your family’s health. If diabetes runs in your family or high blood pressure is an issue, your risk of developing vision problems is increased. Early diagnosis is of critical importance in helping you keep your eyes healthy.
- Schedule medical checkups. Schedule routine eye exams once every two years, and visit your primary care doctor annually for your physical. Early diagnosis of diabetes, high blood pressure, and other diseases is once again the key towards preserving your vision and eye health.
- Don’t put off seeing your Orlando Ophthalmologist if you begin noticing changes in your vision. If you begin having difficulty seeing in low light, driving at night, or experience hazy or double vision, you cannot delay seeing your eye doctor. If you should experience frequent flashes of light, eye pain, red eyes, eye pain, or begin seeing floaters, you need to schedule an appointment right away as these symptoms can be indicative of potentially serious and urgent eye problems.
- Protect your eyes from UV light. When living in Florida, this task becomes one that is easier said than done. Wearing sunglasses that block out 100% of the damaging ultraviolet rays the sun shines down on us year-round is critical to helping reduce the risk of developing cataracts and other serious eye conditions.
The most important thing you can do to keep your eyes healthy and your vision at its best is to choose the best Orlando Ophthalmologist you can. When you select Doc Brock, you’ve chosen the most proficient eye professional in the Central Florida area. You can rest assured knowing that your eyes are in skilled, well-experienced hands. The incredible team at Magruder Laser Vision is here to keep your eyes healthy and your vision crystal clear. Call us at 407-843-5665 or contact us online with any questions or concerns. We are Magruder Laser Vision — Correcting Eyes. Changing Lives.