Unfortunately, not everyone who desires to have LASIK surgery will be considered a candidate for the procedure. Don’t despair if you are one of the patients who fall into this category! There are several other outstanding and proven options to be considered for corrective eye surgery in Orlando.
In certain instances, LASIK is just not a viable option. Only a highly qualified corrective eye surgeon will be able to determine if you will be a good candidate. Doc Brock will be able to tell you if you’re a candidate during your consultation appointments with him. You should be aware of what might prohibit you from being considered a good candidate for LASIK so you are prepared to consider alternatives. Please keep in mind that there is a population of patients where LASIK is just not an option.
- Patients who have severe glaucoma, severe dry eye syndrome, or keratoconus should not have LASIK.
- Having an uncontrolled autoimmune disease such as rheumatoid arthritis, Sjogren’s syndrome, lupus, or other similar disease which impedes the body’s ability to heal, may disqualify you from having LASIK procedures.
- Folks whose corneas are too thin or prescriptions which are very strong, may not be candidates for LASIK.
- Finally, pregnant or some nursing women should be advised to delay having surgery until normal hormonal levels are restored.
Dependent on your individual diagnosis, your eye surgeon may suggest the following alternatives as being more appropriate for treatment:
- PRK (Photorefractive Keratectomy): While similar in nature to LASIK, PRK is a more effective alternative for some patients, but produces the same desired results. There is no corneal flap required with PRK as the laser focuses on the top of the cornea instead of underneath as it does in LASIK.
- Refractive Lens Exchange: This procedure involves the replacement of the natural lenses in the eyes with premium prescription lenses. Candidates for this procedure are usually age 40+. It eliminates the need for prescriptions changes of glasses/contact lenses. The procedure is usually painless and has a quick recovery time. Patients who have cataracts are good candidates for this procedure.
- Implantable Contact Lens (ICL): ICL’s provide excellent quality of vision and are a great option for many people as the procedure allows for implantation of a collagen-based lens without removing your natural lens. They never need to be cleaned and the ICL is removable should that ever be necessary.
- KAMRA Inlay: A KAMRA inlay is placed in one eye only to help to restore near vision so that you don’t have to be bothered wear reading glasses. It will not affect your ability to see things far away. The inlay is long lasting and works with your other eye to allow clarity both near and far.
If your eye care professional has indicated that LASIK isn’t right for you, finding other suitable options for corrective eye surgery in Orlando is a click away. Contact us online, or call us at 407-843-5665, and let Doc Brock and the staff at Magruder Laser Vision help you determine if another option will work for you. We are dedicated to helping everyone in Central Florida see the way they are supposed to: with perfect vision with glasses or contacts. We are Magruder Laser Vision — Correcting Eyes. Changing Lives.