Digital technology improves every day, and most people do not realize how much time they spend looking at desktop screens, tablets, smartphones, and digital displays in restaurants. This constant barrage of multicolored lights and tiny letters as your eyes track the same pattern repeatedly can cause eye strain, especially with the contrast, flickering lights, and glare emanating from the screen. The Orlando ophthalmology team at Magruder Laser Vision has information pertaining to digital eye strain that you might recognize in your own eyes.
- According to the Vision Council, approximately 87% of Americans use digital devices for more than two hours a day, and more than half multitask with multiple devices simultaneously.
- Computers have become our main source of information to research and shop – activities that used to involve walking around and looking for items. By transferring our energies to online sources, we are walking less and straining our eyes significantly more.
- The symptoms of digital eye strain are blurred or double vision; shoulder and/or neck pain; dry, red, or irritated eyes; and headache.
- Digital eye strain is not specific to a certain age group. In fact, 91% of individuals aged 18-39 reported using digital devices in excess of two hours a day compared to 78.5% of the population over age 60.
Preventive measures to reduce digital eye strain are easy to follow – and you should notice an improvement in symptoms rapidly. The hints below will alleviate many of your eye strain symptoms.
- Follow the 20-20-20 rule; For every 20 minutes of use, take a 20-second break by staring at something 20 feet away.
- Reduce glare on your computer’s screen by dimming the overhead lights.
- Keep your digital screen at least an arm’s distance from your eyes.
- Go into your computer’s system preferences to increase text size on all your devices.
- Rearrange your desk or usage area to reduce neck and back strain. Lowering the keyboard may help significantly.
- Contact the Orlando ophthalmology staff at Magruder Laser Vision for an appointment.
Your eyes are vitally important. Keep them healthy with yearly eye exams to determine if you are suffering from digital eye strain. Tell the Orlando ophthalmology experts your digital reading habits and any vision problems you may have experienced recently. Call 407-843-5665 and ask how Magruder Laser Vision can help improve your vision. Our blog page offers more tips on eye and vision health.