Eye correction procedures are much more technologically advanced than they were even a decade ago. The most outstanding technology to date is excimer lasers. At Magruder Laser Vision, one of the solutions we utilize for LASIK vision correction technology is the WaveLight® Allegretto Wave® EX500 Excimer Laser System.
Children who grow up wearing glasses may want to switch to contact lenses as they become teenagers. Teens are notoriously self-conscious about appearance, and contact lenses can help them feel more confident. Contact lenses can also eliminate or reduce having broken glasses on the playground and glasses getting left behind at various events and activities. The team of experts at Magruder Laser Vision have been teaching parents and teens about contact lens care options for decades. Age
There’s no definitive minimum age limit for wearing contact lenses. Contact lens care requires responsibility and discipline, so if you feel your child is responsible enough to commit to contact lens care, then they are old enough to try contact lenses.
The Best Lenses for Teens
Your teen’s unique vision requirements will guide your eye doctor to recommend the best lenses for your teen. Sometimes, a process of trial and error will also determine the lenses that are ultimately the best fit. This may include daily options or options that require additional care. Clean lenses are key to preventing eye health problems, such as infections.
Contact Lens Care
Some contact lenses are known as “dailies,” because they are disposable on a daily basis and require little maintenance. For this reason, they are often recommended for teens. However, if your teen has certain vision issues or sensitivities, they may not be suitable. Other lenses are meant to last a week, two weeks, and sometimes longer. These types of lenses require daily cleaning with lens solution and storage. Your eye doctor will provide instructions according to the type of lenses they prescribe for your teen.
Older teens may be candidates for LASIK. As a college graduation present, this treatment is a great way to save money on contact lenses and supplies before heading off to adulthood.
Find out more about whether your teen could benefit from contact lenses or LASIK with a consultation at Magruder Laser Vision.
In 1996, Dr. Magruder opened his practice and introduced locals to Central Florida’s first refractive surgery center. Since then, he has continued to innovate by introducing game-changing technology and pursuing ongoing education to master the latest techniques. To learn more about the Orlando LASIK experts at Magruder Laser Vision can do for you, call us at (407) 843-5665 or read our blog for more information!
The term “ocular maturity” sounds daunting, like something that happens to your eyes when you are middle aged. However, it is actually the stage in your development when your eyesight finally stabilizes and you no longer require yet another visit to an Orlando ophthalmologist for a new pair of glasses to see in the distance. Once eyes have reached ocular maturity, which may be earlier than you’d imagine, Magruder Laser Vision is a one-stop shop for young adults who are ready to change to a lifestyle free of glasses and contacts.
- Myopia, or nearsightedness, generally develops either during the elementary years or in adolescence. As it progresses, myopia may cause vision to fluctuate until early adulthood (around 18-21) or later if eyesight changes began in adolescence.
- By age 18, 90% of myopic patients have reached ocular maturity.
- Doc Brock and his staff consider your medical records to determine if your vision has changed during the past year. If your Orlando ophthalmologist has noted no significant visual changes in 12-24 months for your myopia, you may have reached ocular maturity. The prescription does not have to be exactly the same every year for ocular maturity reached and the patient ready for LASIK, but the changes need to be small.
- Beginning in their late teenaged years, patients should begin researching the best solution for their vision needs. While some people prefer LASIK, others may want PRK to correct their vision. Consulting an ophthalmologist at that time will allow an ongoing discussion in the procedure best fitted for your needs.
- After you reach ocular maturity, any age is a great age for LASIK or PRK if you suffer from myopia, hyperopia (farsightedness), or astigmatism. However, the younger you are when the procedure is performed, the more years you have to enjoy being able to wake up to clear vision without contacts or glasses.
- When you consider the ongoing cost of contacts, glasses, cleaners, cases, and all the other accessories that come with corrective lenses, the cost of vision correction is minimal. And waking up to a world you can see immediately is absolutely priceless.
To learn if your eyes have reached ocular maturity, schedule an appointment with Orlando ophthalmologist Doc Brock by calling 407-843-5665. You may learn you are the perfect candidate for a vision correction procedure that will leave you seeing better than ever before. Magruder Laser Vision. Correcting Vision – Changing Lives!